A delicious and nutritious way to start your day.
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup granola
- 3-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or a mixture of any of these
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon or lime zest
- 16-oz. nonfat regular or frozen vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and toast for 5-8 minutes, or until golden brown. Stir once or twice during toasting. Transfer the nuts to a mixing bowl.
- Add the granola, syrup, wheat germ, flour, nutmeg and vanilla. Mix well.
- For the filling, slice berries. Toss berries with the syrup, cinnamon, and zest.
- Spread the fruit in an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan or pie plate. Top with the crisp and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the fruit is tender, bubbling around the edges, and the crisp is lightly browned.
- Serve topped with regular or frozen vanilla yogurt.